Monday, August 21, 2006

Angel Hair Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Black Olives and Basil

angel hair pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, olives and basil

This is another 20 minute meal. Perfect for days like today - we ate a little too much for lunch so something light and refreshing like this is perfect for dinner. Straight to the "recipe".

Software
---------------
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
  • 3.5 oz sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 tbsp crushed red pepper (optional)
  • 1/4 cup milk/half and half
  • 1 cup chopped fresh basil
  • salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • Angel hair pasta
Hardware
---------------
  • one skillet (NOT a non-stick skillet)
  • one stock pot for the pasta
Method
---------------
  • First off, boil water in the pasta pot for the angel hair.
  • Put the non-stick skillet on medium heat, add the oil. Add in the garlic and the onions, fry until translucent.
  • Add in the red pepper, black olives, sun-dried tomatoes, freshly ground black pepper and salt.
  • The pasta water should be boiling by now. Add in the pasta and some salt. Let the pasta cook.
  • Cook the sauce for about 3-4 minutes then add in the milk/half and half and deglaze the pan. Turn off the heat, add about 3/4th of the basil.
  • Toss the sauce with the pasta, serve. Garnish with the rest of the basil.
sun-dried tomato pasta sauce cooking

Update: As per Vaishali of Happy Burp's idea I am inlcuding this "extra" - When I was gathering ingredients from the refrigerator to make this pasta, my eyes did fall on the jar of half used capers and I thought of putting them at the end but I completely forgot about it until I was done eating the pasta. But a tablespoon or two of capers, added at the very end right before the milk would go very well with this pasta. Also, instead of the milk, one could deglaze the pan with some wine if you like going that route :).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

This sounds fantastic -- perfect for a late-night supper! Now I'm hungry :)

wheresmymind said...

Mmmm...should've thrown in some anchovie into the sauce!

Luv2cook said...

Jeff:

hmm..not a huge anchovy fan :)...I had capers in the fridge and I should have thrown some in, but I thought of that AFTER we ate :-p and when I was cleaning up..well..there is always a next time :)

Nandini Gopinath said...

I have updated my blog !! LOL !

Vaishali said...

L2C,
I have got all the ingredients in my kitchen. Including the capers that you forgot. :) I think I am gonna make it for tomorrow's dinner. (Today's dinner is cooked & eaten already. :()
Btw, why don't you please add capers in the recipe? For those who want to use it, but have not read your reply to Jeff's comment? Just an idea...

Praveena said...

mmmmmm....pastaaaaaa.......looks good.

Kitchenmate said...

Looks yummy L2C! btw what it is like to use sun dried tomatoes, and what others recipes it is called for/ or you use them... I just a bought a big bottle of sundried tomatoes (soaked in olive oil) from Costco, out of curiosity and now your post made me happy..
Thanks for sharing this post!

Anonymous said...

The pasta looks delicious. Btw, can we use fresh tomatoes instead of sun dried tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe.

Luv2cook said...

Vaishali:

Thanks for the idea. I updated my post :). BTW, let me know how it turns out :).

Praveena:

Thanks..it was very good :).

Kitchenmate:

Hmm...I have used sundried tomatoes for a lot of things including dips, pasta sauces, spreads etc..I have not tried to make anything Indian with them though, but have added them to dips with Indian spices in them...

Tastycooks - yeah. Fresh tomatoes can definitely be substituted but it will totally give it a "saucy" flavor and texture than what you get with sun dried tomatoes...

Vaishali said...

L2C,
I made it for dinner, as promised. Loved it through and through. I deglazed with white wine, btw. I like cooking Italian with wine. Thanks for a great recipe.

KA said...

Whole dish looks delicious Sam!