Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Cabbage and Carrot Zhunka - from One Hot Stove

This recipe is an adaptation of Nupur's Zhunka recipe that she had blogged about earlier in the month in her wonderful A-Z of Marathi Food series. I am always looking for creative ways to cook cabbage - the one vegetable that doesn't rank in my "must-eat" veggies and hence doesn't usually make it to my shopping list either.

I did do some changes to the recipe, so I am not exactly sure how authentic it is but it was yummy! One major change I made was to reduce the flour content, dry roast the flour and also added some additional masalas and carrots.

Software
---------------
  • 3 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 cup matchstick carrots/shredded carrots
  • 1 medium onion, chopped lenghwise
  • 2 cups besan/chickpea flour
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 2 tsp chili powder/to taste
  • 2 tsp (cloves + caradamom + cinnamon stick + black pepper) powder (dry roasted and powdered)
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or your favorite oil
  • 2 tsp black mustard/rai/aavalu seeds
  • 2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder/haldi/pasupu
  • 1 sprig curry leaves, chopped fine
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped fine
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • salt, to taste
  • handful of chopped cilantro
Hardware
---------------

one non-stick pan

Method
---------------
  • Put the pan on medium heat, and add the chickpea flour. Dry roast the flour until the raw smell goes away. Transfer it to a plate and keep aside.
  • Add the oil to the same pan, add the mustard and the jeera seeds. After they splutter, add the onions, ginger and garlic.
  • After the onions are traslucent, add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, (cloves,caradamom,cinnamon,blackpepper) powder and stir.
  • Add the cabbage and stir. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the matchstick/shredded carrots. Stir. Cover and cook for another 2 mins.
  • Now add the roasted flour in batches stirring the cabbage, carrot mixture so the flour gets incorporated.
  • Nupur's recipe said that there is no need to add water but I had to with mine. The jiuces from the veggies weren't enough for the flour to get incorporated. I added about 1/3 cup of water. I also added a lot less flour than her recipe asked for also.
The end result was just superb! Thanks, Nupur for the recipe. Serve it with roti, puri or rice. I ate it with some crackers the next day and it was good with them too.

4 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Wow, I'm honored to be one of your non-Indian blogs. Thanks.

BDSN said...

Hey L2C...
I want to try this recipe sometime..will look for the tips when i make itt...Thanks for posting it..I bought cabbage this time so will definitely make it..

Luv2cook said...

Kalyn:

Thanks. I am honored to be in your blog roll too :-).

BDSN:

Let me know how it turns out!

Kay said...

How interesting! :) zunka sounds and looks very nice. I'll try making it too.