Mango Pudding / Payasam
Santhi's recipe entirely for the mango pudding except that - I boiled the milk in a microwavable container until it came to a boil so I didn't have to keep stirring it on the stove top. I do this trick everytime I need to boil milk and it works perfectly. I also added about 4 tbsp of sweetened condensed milk at the very end and fried up some cashews and raisins in a tablespoon of ghee/clarfied butter and added it to the pudding at the very end.
After looking at all the mango thokku recipes, I mostly followed Kitchen Mate's recipe, except for the methi seeds and the gingelly oil. Instead of the methi seed powder, I added the powder (chana dal, urad dal, coriander seeds, methi seeds, jeera, red chilis) I had prepared for the spinach chutney.
- 1 cup peeled,grated raw mango
- 1 red chili broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp - 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- hing, a pinch
- 1 tbsp of the afore mentioned spice mixture
- salt to taste
- one small sauce pan
- Put the sauce pan on medium heat. Add one tbsp of oil, add the mustard seeds and the red chili pieces. After the mustard seeds splutter, add the hing and the grated mango, stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, cook for another 5-10 minutes until the raw smell goes away. Add the chili powder, spice mixture, salt and stir for another few minutes.
- Add in the other 2 tbsp of oil and stir and turn off the heat.