I cooked the toor dal with a pinch each of hing/asafatida, turmeric powder/pasupu podi, black pepper powder, and salt. Here goes the recipe.
- 2 cups toordal, cooked
- 2 cup shredded cabbage (packed)
- 1 small onion, chopped roughly
- 3 Indian green chilis/1 jalapeno
- 1 lime sized tamarind, soaked and pulp squeezed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sambhar/rasam powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds/aavalu/rai
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeelakarra/jeera seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves/karivepaaku/kadi patha, chopped
- 1 dried red chili, broken into pieces
- 1 pinch asafatida powder/inguva/hing
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil/or your favorite oil
- salt, to taste
- coriander leaves, to garnish
- Pressure cooker to to cook the toor dal
- small fry pan/kadai for the tempering
- Put the saucepan on medium-high heat, add 1 tsp of oil. Add the onions, chilis fry until they are translucent.
- Add the cabbage and cook for about 5-7 min or until cooked. Add the turmeric powder
- Add the cooked toor dal and stir until dal is heated through and is mixed in with the cabbage. Add the tamarind paste/pulp.
- Add salt and the sambhar/rasam powder and stir. Take the dal off the heat.
- Heat the 1 tsp oil in very small fry pan.
- Add the broken red chili pieces, jeera and mustard seeds. After they pop, add the asafatida powder.
- Add the chopped curry leaves and turn off heat.
Serving Suggestion: Serve hot with rice,puri,chapathi or paratha.