These pin wheels are what I took to a Super Bowl party tonight which had a "Southwest Theme". This recipe can be considered to be a "base" recipe to any tortilla pinwheels as the possiblities for the "fillings" are endless.
Each wrap will make about 10-12 pinwheels (so this recipe makes about 120-140 pinwheels). So this WILL feed a crowd!
- 10-12 tortilla wraps (I used the Spinach wraps and Jalapeno Chedddar wraps)
- 3 pkgs creamcheese
- 2-3 finely shredded carrots (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and slightly mashed black beans*
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash southwest chipotle seasoning
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Mixing bowl
- Soften the creamcheese in the microwave by putting it in the microwave for about 30 seconds per package.
- Transfer the creamcheese to the mixing bowl, and beat/blend the cheese until smooth with a fork.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Put about 1/3 cup of this filling in the center of a wrap and spread it around with a knife.
- Roll the tortilla up tightly, then wrap in some plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for about 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Remove plastic wrap and cut into about 1/2 inch pieces.
- Serve with some salsa or just by themselves.
PS - Other variations for the filling include - finely chopped celery, finely chopped green pepper, finely chopped cucumber, thinly sliced turkey/chicken breast (layered on top of the creamcheese mixture before rolling out), replacing creamcheese with hummus for a healthier alternative etc. The possibilties as I mentioned are endless :).